Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mamma Mia!

Ever since my high school days in Lyrics and Laytones I have hated the Swedish 70's singing group ABBA. The only song of theirs I knew was Dancing Queen, and to me it seemed that Lace's rendition of it was the epitome of lame disco songs.
However, last week Autumn's mom got us tickets to the Scera Shell in Orem to go see Arrival, an ABBA look-alike group. Honestly, I wasn't that excited, but I haven't been able to get Mamma Mia!, S.O.S., and Money, Money, Money out of my head for the last four days.
To my surprise, I really liked the group and thought they gave a spectacular show. Part of the reason I liked them so well may have been that they had the original guitarist (not one of the 4 ABBA members, but an original band member) touring with them. He could really jam on the guitar. Ben would have really liked to watch this guy play because he could make some cool sounds come out of the guitar and played very quickly. Their music had a lot more guitar in it than I'd imagined so that made it fun, even if I had to overlook the flowing, nasty 70's outfits they were wearing. Secondly, I actually knew three or four of their songs they performed, I just didn't know they were by ABBA, like Take a Chance.
It turned out to be a fun night and, like I said, I haven't been able to get their songs out of my head for the past few days, so they must be better than I gave them credit for. Go ABBA!

3 comments:

Katie said...

I LOVE ABBA, haven't seen Mamma Mia, and yes, their songs are highly addictive! Glad you enjoyed them.

Ben said...

Can't say I love ABBA, but I agree that their not as bad as you might expect them to be, for a 70's disco band. :) We did one of their songs in Laytones, "Does Your Mother Know?" I liked it well enough. And you have to admit that those 70's bands had some pretty sweet guitar!

Jenn said...

Since you liked it so much, now you HAVE to see the movie Mamma Mia, and you must see it IN THE THEATER. That is what my mom says. She loved it that much. I saw the broadway version in London and liked it well enough, if you like that (slightly dirty) kind of thing. :) The music was fun though!