The map of Utah. All completed county high points are labeled with small white sticky notes.Starting in the Fall of 2003 I began hiking the county high points in the state of Utah. Though not initially a goal, by the time 2006 rolled around and MBA school was starting for me, I had decided to climb all the county high points during my next two years while living in Provo. Since I'd only summited five of them to that point, that left me the formidable challenge of climbing 21 peaks in two summers with a few potential winter ascents, though most of the peaks cannot be accessed until much of the snow has melted (early summer).
On Friday, 01 August 2008 I finished my final peak as Autumn and I climbed Mt. Waas in the La Sal Mountains of Southern Utah. Below is a list of the counties, their peaks, elevations, the date I climbed them on, and who accompanies me on the hike.
- Beaver County, Delano Peak, 12,173', 30 April 2007, Nate Beck
- Box Elder County, Bull Mtn, 9,920', 26 May 2007, John and Ashlee Barnhill, Autumn Humphries
- Cache County, Naomi Peak, 9,979', 02 September 2006, Dave Dibble, John Barnhill
- Carbon County, Monument Peak, 10,452', 14 October 2006, Ned and Linda Iverson
- Daggett County, Eccentric Peak, 12,276', Autumn Iverson
- Davis County, Thurston Peak, 9,706', 12 June 2004, Solo, 11 February 2006, John Barnhill
- Duchesne County, Kings Peak, 13,528', 19 September 2003, Dave Dibble
- Emery County, East Mtn, 10,743', 28 October 2006, Rachel Hawkins
- Garfield County, Mount Ellen, 11,522', 30 July 2008, Autumn Iverson
- Grand County, Mount Waas, 12,331', 01 August 2008, Autumn Iverson
- Iron County, Brian Head Peak, 11,307', 21 July 2007, Solo
- Juab County, Ibapah Peak, 12,087', 13 May 2008, Dave Dibble
- Kane County, On county line, 10,040', 21 July 2007, Solo
- Millard County, Mine Camp Peak, 10,222', 16 June 2007, Solo
- Morgan County, Thurston Peak 9,706' (Shared with Davis County - see above)
- Piute County, Delano Peak, 12,173' (Shared with Beaver County - see above)
- Rich County, Bridger Peak, 9,255', 26 January 2007, Dave Dibble
- Salt Lake County, American Fork Twin Peaks, 11,489', 13 August 2005, Mark Sauder
- San Juan County, Mount Peale, 12,721', 31 July 2008, Autumn Iverson
- Sanpete County, South Tent Mtn, 11,285', 07 July 2007, Autumn Humphries
- Sevier County, Fishlake Hightop Mtn, 11,633', 13 October 2007, Autumn Humphries
- Summit County, Gilbert Peak, 13,442', 01 September 2007, John and Steven Barnhill
- Toole County, Deseret Peak, 11,031', 23 September 2006, John Barnhill
- Uintah County, Eccentric Peak, 12,276' (Shared with Daggett County - see above)
- Utah County, Mt. Nebo, 11,928', 30 May 2003, Dave Dibble, Summer 2004, Ben and Jenn Iverson, Kimber Hopper
- Wasatch County, On county line at 10,840', 07 October 2006, Jared Hahne and Rachel Hawkins
- Washington County, Signal Peak, 10,365', 23 June 2007, Russ Tanner
- Wayne County, Bluebell Knoll, 11,328', 13 October 2007, Autumn Humphries
- Weber County, Willard Peak, 9,764', 17 October 2003, Dave Dibble
For all the blood, sweat, tears, scrapes on my motorcycle and car, and expended gas money, I feel like I have gotten a thorough education and exposure to the state that few others can say they've experienced. Utah has incredibly varied landscape, yet, at 10,000'+ it is all rugged alpine wilderness with incredible serenity and beauty. I'd like to thank everyone that put up with me for hours on the trail as I sung my camp songs or repeated the same jokes that I'd told last hike. I hope they were still funny and I truly enjoyed your company. I can't say that any of the hikes I wish I hadn't gone on. There were some long hours on the motorcycle saddle that I was pretty tired on though!
Anyway, it's been fun but it is time to close this chapter on my life as Autumn and I head to Tucson and begin work there. So, will there ever be another county high point goal in another state? Possibly, but I'm not planning on it right now. There are a few monumental mountains that I plan to climb sometime in my life (Rainier, Hood, Grand Teton, etc.). I do have the state high points in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, and California under my belt, so I may do the top 10 state high points or something. I don't have aspirations to climb Mt. Everest and I'm not even sure I'd take advantage of Mt. McKinley/Denali, were I given the chance. I'd sure think about it though!
We like it! We love it! We want some more of it!
10 comments:
Wow Dan-o that is a great accomplishment! I love the feeling of making a goal and achieving it, especially if it takes a long time to complete!
I had no idea that Utah had the highest average county high point of any state...that's really cool. Congrats on completing the whole set! We're proud to see our names on Mt. Nebo, even if it wasn't your first ascent. And no, we're not tired of the camp songs. :)
Maybe I'll make it up to the high point of MA one of these days: Mount Greylock, weighing at a whopping 3,487 feet!
Congratulations, Dan-o. Fine work. My favorite hike was still the wind rivers in 2002. Actually, it wasn't the hiking that was my favorite--it was throwing rocks, pushing trees, and just sitting with nothing to think about. And that bear eating all your laffy taffys.
Dang. Serious outdoor enthusiasts you are! I suppose I am an indoor enthusiast. I saw that I was linked to your blog, so I finally liked yours to ours.
Very cool. And DNA is oh so clever as well. What a great idea this is!!! Really never occurred to me and now that I know you like hiking as much - likely more than - I do, I find out too late. Hahaha..funny how that works. You two are the coolest and I'm glad to know you. I'll have to follow in your footsteps and catch some of those views. Do you have a top 5?
SO proud! I cherished those phone calls from the summits ("Hey Mom, guess where I'm at?") when you could get reception, am so happy you met your goal before you began your new life in Tucson, and think you have the perfect wife who would hike with you through the last three peaks in three days so you could finish your goal before your move. Can't we be done with mountain climbing now? I'm still trying to figure out where this intense passion for the outdoors came from! Love you!
Hey bozo nice job on finishing all the Utah high points. I noticed you didnt mention the fact that I had to carry you all the way on the ones I was with you. Then again that would be stretching the truth you young spry guy. Im disappointed that I didnt get to go on any of the recent hikes but glad you found a worthy woman to carry you instead. Do awesome in Tucson!
Congrats that is an awesome accomplishment! I've always thought that would be amazing! Hey, speaking of hikes, Nate and I are wanting to take one last trip before school starts. I was thinking Bryce Canyon (cause it's higher so it'll be cooler and Nate's never been to Southern Utah). Any favorites or suggestions? (We don't even have to go to Bryce, we're open to suggestions.)
Hey, the DNA is very original. TJay and I are TNT.
When the weather in Tucson cools down, let me know.
Good luck in your new job.
t
Hey,
I am trying to hike all the county high peaks also. There used to be a site with trip reports, I would see yours there occassionaly. They were a big help in hiking the various peaks. It seems to have disappeared. I know you used to post to it, do you know how to access the trip reports.
Thanks
anvar1959@yahoo.com
Post a Comment