Thursday, September 04, 2008

Labor Day

La Mision San Xavier

I know Labor Day was on Monday, but I wanted to post a few pictures of the fun things we did that day.
We spent the morning at the San Xavier (pronounced like Javier) Mission. It was one of the northernmost missions in the Roman Catholic Church. It was started being built in 1692 and was under construction for nearly 100 years. It was an interesting building to visit and quite beautiful. They had a little tiny chapel with about 500 candles in it. It wasn't all that hot outside, but inside the chapel was well over 120 degrees!

I saw my first roadrunner ever zip across the street here too! It had a small snake in its mouth.

After stopping home for lunch, we spent the afternoon up in the mountains north of town looking for respite from the 96 degree afternoon. We drove up the Willow Canyon road about 20 miles almost to the top of Mt. Lemmon (9,157'). We were pleased to find cooler temperatures (60's or 70's), evergreen trees, and even bear signs. Check out the following pictures. I wonder if I should have brought my skis down with me after all!

2 comments:

Lizzy said...

Did you cut your hair, Autumn? It looks shorter in the pictures.

Ned and Linda said...

Wow! I love the green mountain pictures! They don't look a thing like the Tucson I imagine or the in-town area that you've described. We just need to get down there and see for ourselves. It will happen soon after you get into your house! Mom