Sunday, August 31, 2008

Monsoon!

None of you are going to believe this, but Tucson is one of the wettest places I've ever lived. Admittedly, monsoon season only lasts for a few months of the year and then it will probably be dryer than a bone, but when it rains here, it really rains. And it has been raining every day this week. Luckily, the rain storms are interspersed with sunny skies or mild overcast. The best thing about the rain, however, is that it really cools the air temperature down and makes it much more pleasant, though humid.
Last night, I decided to brave the rain storm and make a pilgrimage to Redbox. Interestingly enough, Tucson doesn't know what the term "piped culvert" means. What this means is that the lowest streets on your route, and certain dipped areas along the road become raging rivers. These are not hydroplane puddles, but 10" deep areas that get everything wet and look like a Jeep commercial. So, driving to Redbox went from being a mundane necessity to a road game where you really have to be on the lookout for the next puddle that may or may not swallow your car. When I got to the Neighborhood Wal-Mart, there were people walking across the street and the water was well over their ankles. The good thing is, even when in pours here, it is never that cold, so it's not a big deal if you get wet once or twice in a day. It was a pretty fun adventure.
One thing I am looking forward to after we move is not having a dirt driveway. From my last post, you noticed that the elite homes in Central Old Tucson do not have pavement. A bit of sand has been placed around the homes, but this just adds to the frustration since a nice mud/sand mixture forms on your feet every time you try to enter your home after it has rained. This makes for a lot of sweeping and vaccuming. I am a shoe wearer, so it also makes for a lot of barefoot feet all the time in the house too.

3 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

wow, I can't imagine what you are going through!

Danny McMillan said...

Ten inch puddles? Were you in the mazuda? Fernando threw a rod in his 3 cylinder geo metro by driving back and forth through a big puddle. Who would have thought Tucson was subject to flash flooding? Crazy! I got your phone message, I was at a wedding in Napa. It was nice. We'll talk soon.

Jenn said...

Ridiculous! I never would have guessed it of Tucson! I think it's high time you two converted to Netflix so you don't have to risk your life running out to the Redbox. BTW, I like your new house A LOT!!!