Thursday, May 01, 2008

MBA Graduation

That blessed day of days finally arrived! On Friday 25 April 2008 I walked across the stage and shook hands with Dean Hill and completed my formal education. I must say, that is a great feeling. I have been in college on and off for more than 11 years. It was weird at the end though. It sort of didn't feel like it was really getting over. I went to class and took tests just like always, except this time I don't have to go back in the Fall. Maybe it will feel more real when I start a job and don't have to do homework anymore. We had a great celebratory dinner with my parents and Autumn's parents at Tucanos, the local Brazilian Grill. They bring around meat on skewers and cut you off as much as you want all night long. It was SO GOOD! Our favorite, of course, was the grilled pineapple.
In the meantime, I am deep in the job hunt. I fly to Montreal next week to interview with a mining explosives manufacturer. The company is based out of Australia, but their US headquarters are in Watkins, CO. If I get the job, I'll be working at their plant location in Montreal, Canada for the first 12-18 months, and then I would be moved to their headquarters in Colorado. Autumn and I are actually quite excited about this job opportunity. It would be a good chance to get away and be on our own a bit, but then we could come back and be reasonably close to those we love and the things we like to do. Actually, Denver is only about 6 hours from Moab, so not a whole lot farther than SLC!
The following week I have a phone interview with Boeing and then I fly to Tucson, AZ to participate in a recruiting event with Raytheon. I am currently waiting on an offer from Sikorsky helicopters as well, so the job hunt is going well overall. I do need to keep working on getting my application out there for right now and nothing has been secured for sure yet.
While not job hunting, I'm trying to productively spend my days. Yesterday I flew my kite (it is surprisingly fun) and went fishing on the Provo River and in Jordanelle Reservoir while Autumn was at work. We'd been staying at her grandparent's condo in Park City. In my defense a little, I put in over 10 hours and was up until nearly 2 am the night before grading finals for the Operations class I was TA of this past semester. So, I didn't feel too bad about playing yesterday.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Dano - you look sharp. congrats on getting your smarts. Orica huh? ironiy is that I was supposed to do a project for them in Oz. small world.

best,
mb