Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bagpipes and foggy mountain air

No, unfortunately this isn't a shot I took from Sundance this morning, but I needed it to create the right mood. At 8:50 am I found myself 5th in line waiting for the lifts to open at Sundance. A minute or two before nine, they loaded us on the chairs and off we went. I was pleased and honored to be the first person up both of the upper two lifts. I've never done that, so that's why I say it was an honor.
I was skiing with my trusty iPod as my MBA companions either weren't coming or weren't there yet. It was truly a serene experience. I know many of you may never have skied alone, or even if you have, have not been isolated on a mountain, but it changes the dynamic of the experience. About halfway up one of the back lifts, the bagpipe music from Braveheart came on and it was really inspirational and uplifting. I really do like the pipes. The dense, patchy fog added to the mystery of being on the lift by myself. The visibility was probably 100' or about three chairs in front of you. However, the terrain visibility where you could actually identify what you were going to hit was probably 12'. On top of that, we had about a 1.5" powder dust on top of 8' of ice and hard pack, so the skiing conditions were not "epic". It didn't matter though and I had a great time regardless. I figure I got in about 12 runs in 2 hours, so I wasn't complaining, though my legs are now!
I guess overall I just wanted to say that I really enjoy being in the mountains and cannot imagine them not being part of my life. They give me strength, rejuvenate my tired mind, and show me that I can be fulfilled. They are not threatening to me, though I have great respect for what they can do to those who do not respect their size, uncertainty, and are not prepared.
My heart is in the highlands.

2 comments:

Katie said...

You better scratch TX off your job search--I don't think you'd like it here too much! :) Glad you are getting such awesome weekly skiing in!

Danny McMillan said...

Dan-o, I'm glad you ski with your ipod. Remember when Rummage used to drive to the gladiator soundtrack? And then he'd find himself going 90 mph? he he. 12 runs in 2 hrs is nice, too. I can sometimes get 15 in the whole day. I want a boat.