Yesterday afternoon I was feeling the need to use my legs a bit, so I hit the trail for an afternoon workout. And workout it was. I climbed Provo Peak, the highest point in the mountains just directly East of Provo. It's the one behind Y mountain. I was reminded that we really have some neat places to go right outside our back door, literally. I don't think many people get up to the top of this one.

I rode the motorcycle to get to the trailhead since the road goes as high as 8,300'. It was fun getting out onto the dirt roads again. Haven't been on many yet this year.

This is the view looking North from Provo Peak. You can see those steep mountains just south of Bridal Veil Falls in the foreground and Timpanogos and even Lone Peak above draper in the background.

Provo Peak is at 11,067', so there are still large snow drifts up there. This one had a nearly vertical face on the leeward side. A pretty picture, but probably not something you'd want to jump on considering the drop below and the loose shale below that...

This is an "aerial" view of the road I rode up, Rock Canyon (on the left), and Squaw Peak to the North of Rock Canyon.

The happy adventurer.

On the way down I believe I was able to glissade (snow slide) about 1,000' of the 3,000' total feet. The snow surface was super wet because it was all melting, but then rock hard after the first few inches. That combination means little to no avalanche danger and a fun and fairly quick ride down. It took me 1:40 minutes to climb the roughly 2 miles of uphill, and I got down in 40 minutes!

I got this cool Iron Man tattoo from my lunch meat package. I thought I'd earned it from my afternoon hike. :-)
3 comments:
Looks like a fun day, lad. I enjoyed the pictures, especially the one of Annapurna. I spoke with the driver of a 1989 bmw 1000 with 76K miles. He liked his ride. You might catch him with your mileage if you keep up those day trips. I think you're the only reader my blog has, and I considered changing the name of it to "THE VFR's DIARY." We'll see. Hopefully today my parts will come in and I can finish the chain. Enjoy your summer, Dan-o. I'm coming to Utah on August 13, wednesday. My folks are picking me up and we're going to layton. Then, on Thursday, we're going down to St. George. Scott's coming too. Heidi has to work that weekend, so she's keeping Tyler. He needs oxygen to fly anyway.
Dan, you better not take a job too far from the mountains--you'd be miserable. Beautiful pictures!
This shows where your heart is! Don't betray your passion or your heart for too long or too far or you'd be one frustrated guy. Gorgeous pictures on a beautiful day! Much more fun than weed-whipping Grandma's hill! We do have amazing "treasures" close to home in Utah. Mom
Post a Comment