Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Oh what do you do in the summertime, when you haven't got a job?

Lest you all think I'm just sitting at home doing nothing, I wanted to show you the recent fruits of my labors.
For Christmas I got a really cool gliding rocking chair from Autumn. I also got a hand saw and a vibrating palm sander. Together with my tape measure and drill, I decided to tackle the project of making a stool for the rocker.
I went down to Home Depot and $12 in wood and $9 in tools later I was ready to go. I made up the plans for it and cut and sanded until it looked mostly right. I must say that being very exact with a hand saw is a difficult task. One of the things I'm most proud about is that the stool is not held together with any nails or screws. I pinned all the joints with 1/4" dowel pins and with only one exception, they all lined up perfectly. It seems quite sturdy and looks pretty darn good. I wish the stain were just a tad darker, but it will do for now.

Detailed schematics and trigonometric calculations

Complex Angles

Nearly Patented Clamping Method

Finished Product

2 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Very impressive! Looks like you guys had a fun time in California. Roger Rabit, is definitely not worth the wait! Your 3:45 a.m. experience sounded pretty scary! I am glad everything turned out alright!

Ned and Linda said...

Looks great Dan! Can't wait to see what other good things you build in the future. We love the things you've built here at home, especially the new Father's Day game. Mom