Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dragging out the job search to the bitter end

As most of you know, I've been looking for a job for quite some time. Well, Autumn and I have been targeting an offer I got from Raytheon about 10 days ago. We decided that the offer Sikorsky (the Connecticut Blackhawk helicopter place) gave us was not attractive enough, particularly considering the cost of living in CT. I turned that offer down on Friday.
I was able to get Savage, a Salt Lake based mining services and logistics company, to extend an offer last Friday, which came in at the exact salary amount Raytheon has offered me. We were hoping to leverage the Savage offer and get Raytheon to come up to meet them, but that didn't work since they were the same amount. I would prefer Raytheon to Savage, though Savage would be a good opportunity were I interested in the mining industry. However, our location with them has not been decided and it would likely be somewhere rural. I have not given them a decision yet, but plan to turn them down after I accept the Raytheon offer.
Raytheon has structured their acceptance such that you have one month to respond to the offer. However, your signing bonus diminishes as time passes, thus encouraging you to accept as soon as possible. My recruiter and the person I've been trying to negotiate with, has been out of the office since I got back from California, which is basically since my offer was extended. Today is one of my deadline days where the signing bonus drops significantly, so I've been madly trying to get them to extend those dates so I don't miss out on the signing bonus while I concurrently try to renegotiate the terms of my contract with my recruiter. It has been maddening since they're often gone, out of the office, or simply don't answer their phones much of the time. I think they will extend my dates though since he has been gone. I don't really want the date extended; we just want to have a job secured! We're quite satisfied with the company overall though.
We hope to get things figured out ASAP and I'm going crazy working all these details out. In the meantime, I've rotated Autumn's rollerblade wheels, weeded the flower garden, changed my air filter in the car, and gone to the library today. Heading catfish fishing in a bit...

2 comments:

Katie said...

Yeah! So glad they finally came through with an official offer. Now you can make plans about the move, Autumn quitting her job, etc. Good luck--looking forward to seeing you in a just 10 days! Good luck getting the details worked out before you sign.

Hoenes Family said...

Taylor can relate to the whole "out of the office" Scenario. Frustrating. I am glad that you are sort of decided on Tucson! It'd be fun to have a friend here. Keep us posted. Don't hesitate to e-mail or call if you have any questions.